Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Through our constant dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established leading end-to-end capabilities and strengths across the carrier networks, enterprise, consumer, and cloud computing fields. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 170 countries serving more than one third of the world’s population.
With 20+ sites across Europe and 1500 researchers, Huawei’s European Research Institute (ERI) oversees fundamental and applied technology research, academic research cooperation projects, and strategic technical planning across our network of European R&D facilities. Huawei’s ERI includes the Zurich Research Center (ZRC), located in Zurich, Switzerland.
A major element of ZRC is a rapidly growing research laboratory focused on fundamental research in the area of computing systems (new hardware, new software, new algorithms).
The research work of the lab will be carried out not only by Huawei’s internal research staff but also by our academic research partners in universities across Europe. The lab provides an open research environment where academics will be encouraged to visit and work on fundamental long-term research alongside with Huawei staff in an environment that, like the best universities and research institutes, is open and conducive to such world-leading scientific work.
Research Intern in Parallel Computing and AI Accelerators (6-12 months)
AI accelerators have revolutionized the field of deep learning by providing unprecedented levels of computational power optimized for matrix operations and neural network training. Huawei’s Ascend AI processors, equipped with the DaVinci architecture, incorporate matrix multiplication core units that deliver impressive AI processing capabilities, enhancing tasks like model training and inference.
Within the scope of this project, successful candidates should be interested in pushing the envelope on the state-of-the-art in algorithmic design, development and modeling for AI accelerators. In particular, the research focus includes the following items:
- Extend/propose models of computation that better capture today’s AI accelerators;
- Design and develop novel high-performance algorithms tailored to Huawei’s Ascend accelerators;
- Implement end-to-end algorithmic solutions and conduct in-depth performance evaluation of the proposed algorithms using the software stack of Huawei’s Ascend accelerator.
The successful candidates will have a unique opportunity to apply their ideas on Huawei’s next generation AI Accelerators (Ascend) and acquire knowledge of the AI accelerator’s software stack. Additionally, we offer the opportunity to implement and benchmark the performance of the proposed algorithms on cutting-edge future hardware architectures and systems that have been developed internally.
- in collaboration with local researchers and experts: extend state-of-the-art computational models of AI accelerators and, moreover, design and develop novel parallel/high-performance algorithms using Huawei’s Ascend AI accelerator;
- revisit contemporary parallel models / algorithms and develop end-to-end solutions using Ascend’s Compute Architecture of Neural Networks (CANN) software stack;
- produce and present research papers at internationally leading conferences and events as well as present the research finding with internal experts
A degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering is required. We seek candidates with research interests and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- solid knowledge of algorithmic design and analysis with focus on high-performance / parallel computing;
- basic understanding of today’s AI accelerators hardware capabilities or demonstrated experience on using accelerators;
- programming experience in C/C++/Python;
- (optional) programming experience with accelerators (HPC or AI domain);
- (optional) experience in software development within a team (version control, etc.)
- Creativity and excellent communication ability in English are key. Willingness to learn new programming frameworks, concepts and technologies is also crucial.
What we offer:
At the Zurich Research Center, the successful candidate becomes part of a multicultural team of leading European researchers with expertise spanning from computer microarchitecture to mathematics. We believe such breadth is crucial to succeed in our mission to drive new fundamental research and achieve new innovate breakthroughs in future computing systems. If this speaks to you, please be sure to apply!