Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Through our constant dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established leading end-to-end capabilities and strengths across the carrier networks, enterprise, consumer, and cloud computing fields. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 170 countries serving more than one third of the world’s population.
With 20+ sites across Europe and 1500 researchers, Huawei’s European Research Institute (ERI) oversees fundamental and applied technology research, academic research cooperation projects, and strategic technical planning across our network of European R&D facilities. Huawei’s ERI includes the new Zurich Research Center (ZRC), located in Zurich, Switzerland. A major element of ZRC is a new research laboratory focused on fundamental research in the area of computing systems, spanning new hardware, new software, and new algorithms.
The research work of the lab will be carried out not only by Huawei’s internal research staff but also by our academic research partners in universities across Europe. The lab will provide an open research environment where academics will be encouraged to visit and work on fundamental long-term research alongside Huawei staff in an environment that, like the best universities and research institutes, is open and conducive to such scientific work.
Machine Learning Engineer - Internship
In this internship position, the successful candidate will conduct research and evaluation of compiler optimizations using PyTorch’s TorchInductor targeting as a backend Huawei’s Ascend AI accelerators. TorchInductor is a compiler backend that compiles deep learning computational graphs generated by PyTorch into optimized kernels. The candidate will work in close collaboration with the team responsible for the optimized code generation targeting Ascend AI accelerators.
Candidates with extensive knowledge of the PyTorch framework and its ecosystem are highly encouraged to apply.
Applications need to include a CV and a motivation letter both merged in one document. Please clearly indicate your preferred starting date on your motivation letter.
- Perform extensive review of the state-of-the-art optimization techniques in PyTorch’s compiler stack
- Implement and enhance several compiler optimizations within the PyTorch ecosystem (TorchInductor)
- Keep up-to-date with PyTorch’s TorchInductor fast moving developments
- Support on preparation of technical documents and present research outcomes to technical teams
- You are currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering or any related fields at a reputable university
- Software development skills in C++/Python
- Knowledge on fundamentals of Machine Learning with focus on deep learning
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with the PyTorch deep learning framework and its ecosystem
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
At the Zurich Research Center, the successful candidate becomes part of a multicultural team of leading European researchers with expertise spanning from microarchitectures to mathematics. We believe such breadth is crucial to succeed in our mission to drive new fundamental research and achieve new innovate breakthroughs in future computing systems. If this speaks to you, don’t hesitate to apply!